143. The Snake and the Scorpion

Scorpion went to see Snake. "Give me more poison!" he said.
"You get angry too easily," Snake replied. "I won't give you more poison."
"Please!" begged Scorpion. "I'd only use it sometimes."
So Snake agreed, telling Scorpion to return the next day.
When Scorpion arrived, Snake wasn't home, so he lay down and fell asleep. Then, when Snake came in, he glided over Scorpion, squishing him. 
Enraged, Scorpion stung Snake.
"That hurts!" groaned Snake, writhing in pain. 
"It's your own fault," said Scorpion. "You squished me."
"Go away!" shouted Snake. "I won't give you more poison. You would kill everybody!"
[a Hausa story from northern Nigeria]



Inspired by: "The Snake and the Scorpion" in Hausa Superstitions and Customs  by A. J. N. Tremearne, 1913.
Notes: You can read the original story online.

No comments:

Post a Comment