53. The Rabbit and the Bee

Bee invited Rabbit to dinner. "Dress my hair," Bee said, "while I make honey." Bee sat in a bowl and made honey while Rabbit dressed Bee's hair. Then they ate the honey.
Next, Rabbit invited Bee to dinner. "Dress my hair," said Rabbit, "and I'll make honey." Bee dressed Rabbit's hair, while Rabbit sat in a bowl and peed.
When Bee tasted Rabbit's honey, he said, "This is no good. Wash the bowl, and I'll make honey."
Then Bee made honey, and Rabbit ate, but Bee refused to eat; instead, he went away angry.
Bee and Rabbit aren't friends anymore.
[a Lango story from Uganda]




Inspired by: "The Bee And The Hare" in The Lango: A Nilotic Tribe of Uganda by J. H. Driberg, 1923.
Notes: You can read the original story online. Compare a similar story about Rabbit and Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment