54. The Rabbit and The Python

Python invited his friend Rabbit to dinner.
"I'll go catch termites," Python said. "You sweep the yard!"
Python came back and said, "Hit me!" When Rabbit hit Python, Python spat out termites, which they ate.
Rabbit invited Python to dinner.
"Dress my hair!" said Rabbit, and Python did so.
"Sweep the yard!" Python did so.
"Now hit me!" Rabbit said, but no termites emerged.
"Again!" Still no termites.
Then Rabbit hit Python and termites came out, which they ate.
"Please dine with me again tomorrow," said Rabbit.
But Python did not go back; that was the end of their friendship.
[a Lango story from Uganda]



Inspired by: "The Hare And The Python" in The Lango: A Nilotic Tribe of Uganda by J. H. Driberg, 1923.
Notes: You can read the original story online.



No comments:

Post a Comment