18. The Hippo and the Crocodile

Crocodile and Hippo used to be enemies, but then Crocodile proposed friendship instead.
“You will rule the running waters, and I will rule the marshes and pools,” said Crocodile. “Moreover, I will let you freely graze and eat the grasses in my marshes and pools.”
“And what must I do in return?” asked Hippo.
“I only ask that you overturn the people’s canoes so that I can eat the people who fall into the running water.”
“Oh, I like this plan!” exclaimed the Hippo.
That is why Hippo now sinks canoes, turning the passengers into food for his friend, Crocodile.

[a Bangala story from the Congo] 



Inspired by: "The Hippopotamus and the Crocodile" in George Grenfell and the Congo, volume 2 by Harry Hamilton Johnston, 1910.
Notes: You can read the original story online. The author notes: "The following story about the hippopotamus and the crocodile is given in its Bangala version; but the present writer has taken down the same fable from the Bayanzi."

No comments:

Post a Comment