~ 12. Amba Pleads with Bhishma ~


Bhishma returned to Hastinapura with three brides for Vichitravirya, but Amba confessed that she was secretly betrothed to King Shalva. 
"Let me go to Shalva," she begged.
Bhishma agreed, but when Amba went to Shalva, he rejected her. "I cannot marry you," he said. "You belong to Bhishma."
Then, when Amba returned to Hastinapura, Bhishma also rejected her. "I cannot let Vichitravirya marry you now," he said.
"Then you must marry me!" insisted Amba.
"I cannot," Bhishma replied.
Without home or husband, Amba blamed Bhishma for her fate. "Someday, somewhere, I will be the cause of Bhishma's death," she vowed.



Inspired byThe Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version by R. K. Narayan
Notes: This story is from Chapter 1: The Eighth Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment