~ 117. Surasa Attacks Hanuman ~


The sea-monster Surasa rose up from beneath the waters, her mouth gaping open. "Feed me!" she screamed. "Everyone must give me food or become my food."
"I have no food to give you," Hanuman replied.
"Then I will eat YOU!" 
But Hanuman grew and grew until he was bigger than Surasa's mouth.
Surasa opened her mouth wider.
Bigger. Wider. Bigger. Wider.
Then Hanuman made himself tiny and buzzed through Surasa's teeth, escaping before she could shut her mouth.
"I offered myself as food and you failed to eat me," said Hanuman, flying away. Surasa had to admire his clever escape.


Inspired by: Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana by Devdutt Pattanaik
Notes: This story is on p. 192 of the book. In Valmiki's Ramayana, this is the Sundara Kanda (Book 5), sarga 1




No comments:

Post a Comment