~ 116. Mount Mainaka Greets Hanuman ~


As Hanuman soared through the air, a mountain flew up from beneath the waters and offered him a place to rest. 
"I am Mount Mainaka," the winged mountain said. "Long ago, all the mountains had wings and flew through the sky, but Indra grew angry at us and cut off our wings. Vayu the wind-god carried me away from Indra, and I have hidden all these years in the ocean's depths. Now I have risen up to offer you a resting place."
Hanuman smiled at the mountain in gratitude. "Thank you, " he said, "but I have no time to rest."


Inspired by: Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana by Devdutt Pattanaik
Notes: This story is on p. 191 of the book. In Valmiki's Ramayana, this is the Sundara Kanda (Book 5), sarga 1. Mainaka explains that when Indra was cutting off the wings of the mountains, it was Vayu, the wind god, who blew him to safety, and so he wants to help Vayu's son Hanuman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment