~ 26. Tiger, Anansi and Goat ~


Tiger, Anansi, and Goat shared a house together, but Tiger wanted the whole house for himself. 
"I'm hungry!" Tiger roared. "I'm going to eat you both!"
Then Anansi and Goat ran away, and Tiger chased them.
They got to the river.
"I can't swim!" cried Goat.
Anansi turned Goat into a small white stone, and then Anansi jumped across the river.
Tiger arrived.
"I bet you can't hit me with that stone!" Anansi shouted at Tiger.
Tiger threw the stone.
When it hit the ground on the other side, the stone turned back into Goat.
Anansi and Goat were safe!


Inspired byAnansi Folktales in the Diaspora by Victorine Grannum-Solomon
Notes: This story appears on p. 47 of the book: Magic Anansi. I changed the story to use the motif of Tiger himself throwing the stone across the river, like when Anansi was chasing Goat: Anansi and Goat at the River. In Grannum-Solomon's version Goat also has her children with her, but I left the children out.

No comments:

Post a Comment