~ 80. Anansi and Goat at the River ~


Goat was running, and Anansi was chasing.
Goat ran and ran, and then he came to the river.
Goat couldn't swim.
Dog was on the other side of the river.
"Help me, Dog!" said Goat, and then Goat turned himself into a stone.
Anansi ran up. "Did you see Goat come this way?" he asked.
"I'll tell you if you throw me that stone," said Dog.
Anansi grabbed the stone and threw it to Dog.
When the stone hit the ground, it turned back into Goat.
"I had Goat in my hand," Anansi groaned, "but then I let him go."


Inspired byJamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith
Notes: This is story 40 in the book. Beckwith heard this story from Richard Pottinger; additional information in Beckwith's notes. Beckwith doesn't mention this version, but Joel Chandler Harris has a story about wolf, goat, and dog where part of the rock breaks off, which is why the goat has a short tail now: Mr. Goat's Short Tail.


No comments:

Post a Comment