~ 132. The King Banishes Anansi ~


Anansi kept playing tricks on the king.
Finally the king shouted, "I don't ever want to see your face again!"
Anansi left the palace in disgrace.
Later there was a royal parade. Anansi wanted to go to the parade, so he put a pot on his head, hiding his face.
As the king passed, Anansi stuck his butt in the air towards the king.
"Whose butt is that?" shouted the king. "That looks like Anansi's butt!"
"You told me you never wanted to see my face again," shouted Anansi from inside the pot. "You never said anything about my butt!"


Inspired by: The Drum and the Hoe: Life and Lore of the Haitian People by Harold Courlander.
Notes: This story is on p. 175. Courlander's story is about the "president," but I changed it to king to fit with the other Anansi stories. A similar story is told about the south Indian court jester: Tenalirama's Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment