Nasruddin Won't Be Fooled Twice

A friend asked Nasruddin to loan him money. Reluctantly, Nasruddin agreed, certain his friend would never pay him back.
Then, much to Nasruddin's surprise, his friend paid back the money. He even paid the full amount ahead of schedule!
A few months later, the same friend asked Nasruddin for another loan, but Nasruddin refused.
"Why not?" his friend exclaimed. "I paid you back last time."
"I know!" said Nasruddin. "And I was certain you would not pay me back, so you really fooled me. But I've learned my lesson, and you're not going to fool me a second time!"


Inspired by: This is Nasruddin Tale Type T0086.
Notes: The saying I used here is from the English proverb tradition; find out more here: The Origin of Fool Me Once, Shame On You.




No comments:

Post a Comment