The Philosophical Chicken

Nasruddin was indignant when he saw some small parrots being sold for a very high price in the marketplace.
"My chicken is much bigger than those scrawny birds of yours!" he said to the bird seller. "And because my chicken is twice as big as they are, I should be able to sell her for twice as much."
"But my parrots can imitate human speech," the bird seller replied.
"Well, my chicken is very philosophical!" exclaimed Nasruddin. "She thinks deep thoughts, and she does not waste her time with empty chitter-chatter like those parrots of yours."


Inspired by: This is Nasruddin Tale Type T0136.
Notes: Compare the story about Birbal where he shows that while the parrots may pray to the gods in words, they do not possess real devotion because they do not understand what they are saying: T0115.




No comments:

Post a Comment