Nasruddin and the Monkeys

Nasruddin had invested in some performing monkeys, but he was not making enough money to feed them all the food they wanted. The monkeys were always hungry!
"My dear monkeys," said Nasruddin, "I can only afford to give you three figs each in the morning and four each in the evening."
This news made the monkeys furious. They shrieked at Nasruddin and pelted him with filth.
"Okay, okay," Nasruddin said apologetically. "I think I can give you four figs in the morning and three figs in the evening, but that's my final offer."
Thus Nasruddin satisfied the foolish monkeys.


Inspired by: This is Nasruddin Tale Type T0054.
Notes: Compare the story about the performing monkeys and the nuts in Aesop (Perry 463), but with a different plot; in that story, someone throws nuts onto the stage and it distracts the monkeys from their dancing: The Dancing Monkeys.



No comments:

Post a Comment