Ali-Butkuttit's Stallion

Ali-Butkuttit was stung by a thorn. "Help!" he shouted. 
A woman removed the thorn, tossing it into the fire.
"Where's my thorn?" Ali-Butkuttit shouted.
"It's gone," said the woman. "Here; take this bread instead!"
Ali-Butkuttit gave the bread to a goatherd, who devoured it.
"Where's my bread?" Ali-Butkuttit shouted.
"It's gone," said the goatherd. "Here; take this goat instead!"
Ali-Butkuttit gave the goat to a nobleman, who butchered it. 
"Where's my goat?" Ali-Butkuttit shouted.
"It's gone," said the nobleman. "Here; take this stallion instead!"
Ali-Butkuttit then rode his stallion to the seashore, then into the sea, and there he died.


Inspired by: "Ali Butkuttit and the Thorn" in Tashelhiyt Berber Folktales by Harry Stroomer, 2001.
Notes: You can read the original story online. There is both a goat AND a calf, but I ran out of space, so I left out the calf.

No comments:

Post a Comment