The Lion, the Leopard, the Hyena, and the Donkey

Lion, Leopard, Hyena, and Donkey were all complaining about the hardships they faced.
"God must be punishing us for someone's sins," they decided. "But who is the sinner?"
Lion confessed first. "I once killed an innocent bull."
"Oh, that's no sin!" Leopard exclaimed. "But I once slaughtered a stray goat."
"That's nothing," said Hyena. "I confess I stole a chicken and ate it."
"God forgives you," said Lion and Leopard. "And what about you, Donkey?"
"Well," said Donkey, "I sometimes nibble grass by the roadside."
"You are the sinner!" shouted Lion, Leopard, and Hyena, who then killed and devoured him.


Inspired by: "The Donkey Who Sinned" in A treasury of African folklore by Harold Courlander, 1975.
Notes: You can read the original story online.


No comments:

Post a Comment