The Hyena and the Polecat

One day the hyena caught and ate a polecat.
The next day, she caught ate another polecat.
Then, when she caught a polecat on the third day, she shouted, "Ah, another polecat! My favorite food!"
"I'm no polecat!" shouted the polecat.
"Then what are you?" asked the hyena, confused.
"I am Lushi-Eater-of-Hyenas!" he shouted. "I ate ten hyenas already today; you will make number eleven."
Hyena was scared, but also confused. "I don't understand," she said. "Who are you exactly?"
"I AM LUSHI-EATER-OF-HYENAS," shouted the polecat, "and now I am going to EAT YOU!"
That's when the hyena ran away.


Inspired by: "The Story of Mr. Stoat and Mr. Hyena" in Lamba Folklore by Clement M. Doke, 1927.
Notes: You can read the original story online. Although Doke translates "walikota" as stoat in English, there are no stoats in Africa, but there is an African striped polecat, also known as a skunk (because of its coloring), so I've used the name polecat here instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment