77. The Spider, the Hyena, and the Saddle (2)

Spider then took the saddle and went to Hyena's den. "Hey, Hyena!" Spider shouted. "Do you want to come with me to a feast?"
"Of course I do!" said Hyena.
Hyena was running very fast, but Spider walked slowly. 
"Hurry up!" said Hyena.
"I can't hurry up," said Spider, "because I'm carrying this heavy saddle."
"I'll carry the saddle," said Hyena.
"Good idea!" said Spider. He put the saddle on Hyena, and then jumped up and spurred her. "Run, Hyena, run!"
Spider rode Hyena back to where the wise man was waiting.
"Here's your new horse!' Spider told him, laughing.
[a Hausa story from northern Nigeria]


Inspired byFifty Hausa Folktales by A. J. N. Tremearne.
Notes: This is a continuation of The Wise Man, Hyena, and Spider, and you can see what happens next in Tying Hyena.

No comments:

Post a Comment