Wolf and Rabbit's Jug of Honey

Rabbit hopped inside a tree-hole to escape from Wolf.
"I'll make a fire and smoke you out!" Wolf shouted.
"Don't you want some honey first?" Rabbit replied. "I keep my honey here. You can have half."
Wolf loved honey. "Hand it over!" he shouted.
"I can't!" said Rabbit. "The hole's too small for the jug.
"I'm coming in!" Wolf shouted.
"You can't!" said Rabbit. "There's not enough room in here for us both. But I'll come out, and you can come in."
Rabbit hopped out, Wolf hopped in, and then Rabbit set the tree on fire.
There wasn't any honey.


Inspired by: The Days when the Animals Talked by William J. Faulkner.
Notes: This is "Brer Wolf Wants the Honey" (p. 139).

 

1 comment:

  1. How was Wolf expected to know that there wasn't really any honey?

    ReplyDelete