Rabbit and the Lions

Lion required the animals to send him one animal every day to eat.
Then Rabbit's day came.
He walked slowly to Lion's house, very slowly, thinking of a plan.
"You're late!" shouted Lion. "I'm starving!"
"It's the other lion's fault," said Rabbit. "I told him you were the biggest, baddest lion, but he didn't believe me."
"Take me to him!" Lion roared. "I'll show him who's big and bad!"
Rabbit led Lion to a well. 
Lion looked down, snarling. His reflection snarled back.
"How dare he disrespect me!" Lion roared, jumping in.
Lion drowned.
That's how Rabbit saved the animals!


Inspired by: Folk Culture on St. Helena Island, South Carolina by Guy Johnson.
Notes: This is story 7: Lion Sees His Shadow. This story has Indian roots going back to the Panchatantra; see The Lion and the Rabbit.

1 comment:

  1. Another story with a happy ending. Lion might have been big and strong but he was a complete idiot!

    ReplyDelete