Coming Straight Back

"Come down!" Fox shouted at Rooster up in a tree.
"I'll fetch him," Rabbit said, "if you promise to wait by the fence."
"I promise!" said Fox.
"To make sure, I'll tie you," said Rabbit. "I'll come straight back."
"Well," said Fox, "if you're coming straight back."
Rabbit tied Fox to the fence. 
"Make your escape, Rooster!" Rabbit shouted, and then, "Come get me, Dog!"
Dog came chasing Rabbit, who ran straight for Fox.
"Go left!" shouted Fox. "Or go right! Just not this way!"
Leaping over Fox's head, Rabbit shouted, "I came straight back!"
Dog tore Fox to pieces.


Inspired by: The Days when the Animals Talked by William J. Faulkner.
Notes: This is the story "Brer Rabbit Keeps His Word" (p. 95).

 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No it's not! Rabbit is the hero of these stories, not Fox. It doesn't matter if Fox gets killed, he is stupid!

      Delete