Rabbit, Bear, and Man

Bear caught Rabbit and was about to eat him.
"Don't eat me!" said Rabbit. "I'm so small. You need to eat something big, like Man!"
"What's Man?" asked Bear.
"I'll show you!" said Rabbit.
They hid in the bushes. 
"I'm starving!" groaned Bear, as he looked at Rabbit hungrily.
"Just wait," said Rabbit. "Here he comes. Quick now! Go get him!"
Bear rushed out.
BANG went Man's gun.
Bear turned tail and ran. "He's a fire-breathing monster!" Bear shouted as he ran past Rabbit into the woods.
"I only said he's good to eat," Rabbit replied. "Not easy to catch!"


Inspired by: The Days when the Animals Talked by William J. Faulkner, 
Notes: I changed the ending; in Faulkner's version, Rabbit says, "Well, Brer Bear, I guess you'd better not trust a man. And you'd better not believe everything you hear either."


1 comment: