~ 167. Duryodhana Addresses His Son ~


As Duryodhana lay dying on the battlefield, they brought his young son, Durjaya, to see him. The little boy ran to his father and went to sit on his lap, but his father had to push him away.
"The Pandavas have broken my thigh," he said to Durjaya. He then caressed the boy's hair and said, "They are the victors, my son, my Durjaya. You must serve them now, the Pandavas; they are your uncles. I commend you to their protection because I am leaving soon. Very soon."
And Duryodhana wept as he thought of all he would leave behind.


Inspired by: Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik.
Notes: This story is on p. 284. The character of Durjaya first appears in Bhasa's play Urubhangam; you can find out more at Wikipedia.


Duryodhana fallen

No comments:

Post a Comment