~ 36. The Princes Display Their Prowess ~


When the princes completed their training, Drona organized a tournament, and the public thronged the stadium.
Yudhishthira, Duryodhana, Bhima, all the princes performed brilliantly, but Arjuna was the best.
Then a stranger entered the stadium. "I challenge you, Arjuna!" he said. "Fight me!"
"But who are you?" asked Drona. 
"I am Karna!" replied the stranger.
"I don't know you," Drona said. "Who is your father?"
The stranger hesitated. "My father is a charioteer."
Drona sneered at the stranger.
But Queen Kunti, sitting in the audience, fainted. She had guessed Karna's identity: he was her first-born son, now a grown man.


Inspired byThe Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version by R. K. Narayan
Notes: This story is from Chapter 2: Enter the Players.

No comments:

Post a Comment