~ 82. Dushasana Brings Draupadi into the Assembly ~


Dushasana returned to fetch Draupadi. "You are Duryodhana's slave!" he shouted. "Come with me!"
"But I have my period," Draupadi tried to explain. "I'm barely dressed. I can't go out like this."
"Silence, slave!" Dushasana commanded.
Grabbing Draupadi by the hair, he dragged her before the assembly.
Everyone stared in shock, but said nothing.
"Husbands, you must help me!" Draupadi moaned. "Mothers, fathers! Uncles and grandfathers! Do you say nothing? Is there no justice in this assembly?" 
"This whore has quite a tongue," Shakuni joked, and Duryodhana laughed, while Yudhishthira and his brothers wept silently, bowing their heads in shame.



Inspired byThe Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version by R. K. Narayan
Notes: This story is from Chapter 7: Stakes Unmatched. 



No comments:

Post a Comment