~ 117. Dhritarashtra Sends an Envoy of Peace ~


Although Duryodhana and Karna advocated for war, King Dhritarashtra decided to send his charioteer Sanjaya to Yudhishthira with an offer of peace.
"I too desire peace," Yudhishthira told Sanjaya. "I only ask for Indraprastha, the city that my brothers and I built in the wilderness. Give us back what is ours, and there will be no war."
"You ask only for what is right," said Sanjaya. "But I am afraid that Duryodhana will refuse."
"Then give us just five villages," said Yudhishthira, "one for each son of Pandu. That will be enough. Take that message to the Kauravas in Hastinapura."



Inspired byThe Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version by R. K. Narayan
Notes: This story is from Chapter 12: War or Peace? In Pattanaik's Jaya, when the request for five villages is rejected, the next request is for just five houses in one village.

No comments:

Post a Comment