~ 110. The Monkeys Reach the Ocean ~


The southern search party reached the ocean; they could go no farther. 
Angada despaired. "It is better that we should all die here rather than return in failure," he said. 
Jambavan and Hanuman sought to console him, but Angada wouldn't listen. "Maybe Jatayu was wrong all along!" he shouted.
At that moment an enormous eagle approached the monkeys, limping along the water's edge.
"Did you say Jatayu?" asked the eagle. "I am Sampati, and Jatayu is my brother. Tell me more! Perhaps I can help. While I cannot fly, my eyesight is keen. But first, speak to me of Jatayu."


Inspired by: Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana by Devdutt Pattanaik
Notes: This story is on p. 187 of the book. In Valmiki's Ramayana, this is the Kishkindha Kanda (Book 4), sarga 56.

No comments:

Post a Comment