~ 66. Rama Visits Agastya ~


Rama came to Agastya's ashram.
"Two rakshasa brothers once lived here," said Agastya, "Ilvala and Vatapi. Ilvala would transform into a brahmin and invite another brahmin to dinner. Vatapi would transform into a sheep which Ilvala cooked and served. Then, after the guest ate, Ilvala would shout: Come out, Vatapi! Vatapi would burst through the brahmin's stomach, killing him."
Rama stared at Agastya, horrified.
"But I defeated them," Agastya explained, smiling. "I used my powers to digest Vatapi before Ilvala could summon him. Afterwards, I incinerated Ilvala with the power of my gaze."
Rama then regarded Agastya with great admiration.


Inspired by: Valmiki's Ramayana
Notes: This is the Aranya Kanda (Book 3), sarga 11. The story is also found in the Mahabharata. See Wikipedia for details about the town named Badami (Vatapi), located in Karnataka.




No comments:

Post a Comment