When Anansi's Clothes Were Torn

Anansi got into a fight, and his clothes were torn up.
"What happened?" asked his wife.
"I was at church!" said Anansi. "They beat the priest and tore his clothes too!"
Mrs. Anansi didn't believe him. She went to the church to talk to the priest.
Anansi ran ahead and jumped in a tree.
Then he called to her from the tree. "Mrs. Anansi! It's me, the priest!" said Anansi in the priest's voice. "My clothes are all torn. I'm waiting for them to bring me clothes from the church. Thank Anansi for me!"
So the wife believed Anansi's story.


Inspired byFolklore from Antigua, British West Indies by John H. Johnson
Notes: This is story 4 in the collection; the storyteller is George Edwards of Greenbay, Antigua. In the original story, Anansi gets in the tree and confirms Anansi's story; I thought it would be more fun to have him pretend to be the priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment