Buying Nothing for Anansi

There was a woman. Anansi liked this woman, but she kept ignoring him.
"Take this penny," said Anansi.  "Go to the market and buy me nothing."
This confused the woman, but she took the penny.
She went to the market, bought nothing, and then she came back.
"Take your money," she shouted from Anansi's yard. "I bought nothing."
"I'm sick in bed here," said Anansi. "Come! Come closer!"
"Take your money," she shouted from Anansi's door. "I bought nothing."
"Come! Come closer," said Anansi.
"Take your money," she shouted next to Anansi's bed. "I bought nothing."
Anansi's plan had worked.


Inspired byFolklore from Antigua, British West Indies by John H. Johnson
Notes: This is story 3 in the collection; the storyteller is George Edwards of Greenbay, Antigua.

No comments:

Post a Comment