Lion and Mrs. Anansi

Anansi had tied Lion to a tree and left him there.
Then Mrs. Anansi walked by.
"Untie me!" roared Lion. "Please!"
"No!" said Mrs. Anansi. "If I untie you, you'll eat me."
"No, I won't! I swear!" said Lion. "If I try to eat you, all the leaves will shout: Shame on you, Lion! Shame!"
So Mrs. Anansi untied Lion... and then Lion grabbed her and was about to eat her.
"Shame on you, Lion!" shouted the leaves. "Shame!"
Lion really was ashamed, so instead of eating Mrs. Anansi he invited her to come to a party at his house.


Inspired byFolklore of the Antilles by Elsie Clews Parsons.
Notes: You can see Parsons' story and notes here. She heard the story from Rafael Weeks. In the story, Mrs. Anansi takes Anansi to the party disguised as a baby. More about that episode: Baby Anansi at the Lion's Feast.


No comments:

Post a Comment