~ 117. Anansi and Whale ~


Anansi was stuck on an island.
"Help!" he yelled.
"I'll carry you to shore," said Whale. "Jump on!"
Anansi jumped on.
"I'm hungry!" said Anansi. "I want fish!" 
Whale tossed a fish up to Anansi.
Then Anansi muttered to himself, "My children will kill Whale and we'll eat him on shore." 
"What's that?" asked Whale.
"I just said I want some more!" 
Whale threw Anansi more fish.
They got to shore, and Anansi yelled, "Children, come kill Whale!"
This made Whale angry. He threw Anansi down, smashed him, and filled Anansi's body with sand.
That was the end of Anansi.


Inspired byFolklore of the Antilles by Elsie Clews Parsons.
Notes: You can see Parsons' story and notes here. Parsons heard the story from Hilton Libert. Anansi is trapped on this island after flying there with wings made of bird feathers, but the birds then strip the feathers from him.


1 comment:

  1. Well that is what Anansi deserved for being so cunning and manipulative.

    ReplyDelete