~ 181. The Mule and the Camel ~


A mule and a camel were traveling together through the mountains.
As they ascended and descended the rocky paths, the mule often stumbled, but the camel never stumbled.
"Why am I always stumbling while you are so sure-footed?" asked the mule.
"It's because I see the upward heights," said the camel, "while you see only what is below. At the top of each rise, I foresee the pass ahead, and in this way God lets me discern the shape of things to come. You can only see a few steps ahead. Holding my head up high, I can look beyond."



Inspired by: The English prose version of Rumi in Tales from the Masnavi by A. J. Arberry.
Notes: This is story 79 in the book, and it reappears as story 128, with additional details, in Arberry's More Tales from the Masnavi.



No comments:

Post a Comment