13. Moses Seeks Advice from Iblis


"Moses!" said God. "I see that you are troubled. Go ask Iblis for advice." 
So Moses went to see Iblis, who had once been a heavenly angel but who had rebelled and been cast out.
"God sent me to you for advice," Moses said to Iblis.
"My advice is simple," replied Iblis. "Never say "I" about anything. Set aside all ego. That way you won't become like me. Your vanity and self-pride, your resentment, your envy and your anger are like dragons. Yet instead of subduing them, you pet them and cherish them, and you do so at your peril."



Inspired by: The Conference of the Birds by Farid Ud-Din Attar, translated by S. C. Nott
Notes: This is in section 34: God Speaks to Moses. You can read more about Iblis at Wikipedia. In the original, the narrator is the one who speaks of dragons, but I attributed those words to Iblis.



No comments:

Post a Comment