~ 50. Anansi and Goat's Plantains ~


Anansi stole the plantains from Goat's plantain-tree.
"Baaa-a-a, where are my plantains?" yelled Goat.
Goat ran to Anansi's house.
Anansi and his family hid on the rooftop.
One child slid off. Goat caught the child, killed him, and stuffed him in a sack. "Baaa-a-a, he's my plantain now!"
One by one the children all slid off.
Then Mrs. Anansi slid off.
"Baaa-a-a, they're all my plantains now!" said Goat. "You next, Anansi!"
"Make an ash-heap I can fall on," said Anansi. "Then I'll slide off."
Goat heaped up ashes.
Anansi fell. Ashes scattered everywhere!
Goat couldn't see, and Anansi escaped.


Inspired byJamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith
Notes: This is story 27b in the book. Beckwith heard this story from Rennie Macfarlane; additional information in Beckwith's notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment