Nasruddin Tries to Guess

Nasruddin ran into a friend on the street who said, "If you can guess what I have in my pocket, I'll give it to you, and you can have a fried egg for your dinner."
Nasruddin stared at him in complete confusion. "Aren't you going to give me some clues?"
"Well," said his friend, "it's oval-shaped, hard and white on the outside, and inside it you will find something that is yellow."
"Oh, I've got it!" Nasruddin shouted triumphantly. "You've taken a big turnip and then put a very tiny mango inside it. Did I guess correctly?"


Inspired byMulla's Donkey and Other Friends by Mehdi Nakosteen
Notes: This story is on p. 130 of the book. Compare the story of the apricot: Guess What I Have in my Pocket. Nakosteen's story has a carrot instead of a mango, but I thought a mango was more likely to be yellow, and the idea of a very tiny mango made it funny too.


No comments:

Post a Comment