Nasruddin Reads Aloud

Nasruddin's wife handed him a document without saying why. Nasruddin stared at the writing on the paper; he wasn't actually able to read it, but he pretended that he could. Running his finger along the writing, he read out loud, "My dear friends, I hope you are well. It has been a long time since my last letter and..."
"What on earth are you talking about?" interrupted his wife.
"I thought you gave me this document to read," Nasruddin explained.
"No," she said. "I gave it to you to put somewhere for safekeeping. That is the deed to our house."


Inspired byMulla's Donkey and Other Friends by Mehdi Nakosteen
Notes: This story is on p. 45 of the book. In some stories, Nasruddin is a scholar, but in other stories, like this one, he is illiterate.


No comments:

Post a Comment