~ 134. Where's the Halvah? ~



Nasruddin went to the grocer.
"I want some halvah, please," he said.
"My apologies," said the grocer. "I don't have any halvah."
"That's impossible!" exclaimed Nasruddin. "How can a grocer not have halvah? I simply don't understand. Tell me: do you have any flour?"
"Yes," said the grocer.
"And what about sugar? Do you have any sugar?"
"Yes," said the grocer.
"And do you have butter? Surely you have butter!"
"Yes," said the grocer.
"So, isn't it obvious? Everything you need is here!" Nasruddin concluded. "If you have flour and sugar and butter, why don't you go make some halvah?"



Inspired by The Wit and Wisdom of Nasraddin Hodja by Nejat Muallimoglu
Notes: This story is on p. 71 of the book. The author comments, "Every society has certain problems which seem unsolvable, though all the ingredients for solving these problems exist." For a story where the joke is on Nasruddin, see A Recipe for Halvah.


No comments:

Post a Comment