~ 17. Nasruddin and the Sacks of Wheat ~



Nasruddin was caught taking sacks of wheat from his neighbor's barn. Nasruddin had done this before, and this time the neighbor took him to court.
"What do you have to say for yourself?" asked the judge.
"I'm just a fool," Nasruddin admitted. "I get confused about whose barn is whose, which wheat is mine or theirs. I'm not sure how I ended up with my neighbor's wheat in my wagon."
"If you're so easily confused," said the judge, "why don't you sometimes put your wheat in other people's wagons?"
"I may be a fool," Nasruddin replied, "but I'm not stupid!"



Inspired byMulla's Donkey and Other Friends by Mehdi Nakosteen
Notes: This story is on p. 65 of the book. This story is also told of Nasruddin going to the miller and "foolishly" taking grain out of other people's sacks, while never putting grain from his sack into theirs.



No comments:

Post a Comment