He Who Beat Me

A monk seeking alms saw a villager being cruelly beaten by a ruffian. He ran to help, and the ruffian beat the monk also, knocking him unconscious.
When his brother monks heard what happened, they came and carried him to the monastery. Then tended his wounds and waited for him to wake up.
When he opened his eyes, a monk gave him tiny sips of milk.
"Do you recognize me, brother?" the monk asked. "Do you know who is giving you this milk?"
The injured monk smiled and said, "He who beat me is giving me milk. All is God."


Inspired byTales and Parables of Sri Ramakrishna
Notes: This is story 155 in the book. You can find out more about Ramakrishna at Wikipedia. I added the "All is God" part at the very end; that meaning comes through in the larger context of Ramakrishna's teachings, but I was not sure if it would come through in this tiny story without more of a hint.


No comments:

Post a Comment