~ 105. Abu Said and the Wealthy Disciple ~


A rich man became Abu Said's disciple, surrendering all his wealth. Then he became a beggar, surrendering every coin he received, but Abu Said ignored him.
One night he returned empty-handed, and the doorkeeper wouldn't admit him.
In despair, he wept. "God, I'm now a beggar. My teacher has abandoned me. There is only you, God! Don't leave me!"
God's light shone in his heart and he fainted from rapture. 
When he awoke, he saw Abu Said and the other disciples rejoicing.
"You made me your idol," Abu Said explained. "You finally broke that idol; now you can worship God."



Inspired byUnder the Sufi's Cloak: Stories of Abu Said and His Mystical Teaching by Mohammad Ali Jamnia and Mojdeh Bayat
Notes: This story is on p. 29 of the book. You can find out more about Abu Said at Wikipedia.



No comments:

Post a Comment