~ 107. Abu Said and the King of the Gamblers ~


One day in the market, Abu Said saw some half-naked, scruffy-looking men who were carrying an even more naked and more scruffy-looking man high on their shoulders.
Abu Said asked, "Who are you?"
"I am the King of the Gamblers!" the man replied. "My fellow gamblers made me their king because I lost everything I owned, and I did so without fear."
Abu Said smiled. "I salute you, brave soul!" he said. Then he told his disciples, "May we all become kings as the King of the Gamblers has done, giving up all we have in order to gain God."


Inspired byUnder the Sufi's Cloak: Stories of Abu Said and His Mystical Teaching by Mohammad Ali Jamnia and Mojdeh Bayat
Notes: This story is on p. 35 of the book. You can find out more about Abu Said at Wikipedia.



No comments:

Post a Comment