~ 156. Who Gets the Loaf of Bread? ~



Nasruddin was traveling together with an ascetic and a scholar, and they had found four loaves of bread.
They each ate one loaf, and then quarreled about the fourth.
Nobody wanted to share, so Nasruddin said, "Whoever has the best dream gets the bread!"
The next morning, the ascetic said, "I dreamed I kissed God's feet. What could top that?"
The scholar said, "My dream's better: God embraced me and praised my wisdom!"
Then Nasruddin said, "In my dream, God came to me and said, 'Nasruddin, what are you lying there for? Go eat the bread now!' So I did."



Inspired byThe Little Book of Sufi Parables by Nico Neruda
Notes: This is story 11 in the book. There are many variations on this story of the three dreamers; see, for example, The Dreams of the Three Travelers.


No comments:

Post a Comment