The Snake and the Frog

Frog met Snake riding on a horse, coiled awkwardly around the saddle.
"Hey!" Frog shouted. "You don't know how to ride. Get down, and I'll show you."
Snake got down and gave the horse to Frog, who jumped into the saddle and yelled, "Watch me!" Frog galloped in a big circle, and then gave the horse back to Snake. 
"That's how to ride," said Frog proudly.
"Having is better than knowing how," Snake replied. "You know how to ride, but since you don't have a horse, what's the point? I'm the one who has a horse, and that's what matters."


Inspired by: "The Snake and the Frog" in Hausa Tales and Traditions, volume 1, by Neil Skinner, 1969.
Notes: You can read the original story online. What I read this story the first time, I was sure the frog was going to steal that horse!



No comments:

Post a Comment