110. The Rooster and the Wildcat

Wildcat ambushed Rooster walking along the road.
"I know you're hungry," Rooster said, "but do me this favor: let me complete my journey before eating me."
"Why should I?" growled Wildcat.
"I'm on my way to a funeral," said Rooster. "You can eat the other mourners!"
Wildcat imagined a whole flock of mourners. Delicious. 
"Alright," she said. "I'll go with you. How far is this funeral?"
"Just up the road at Dog's house," said Rooster. "All the dogs are on their way!"
Wildcat turned and ran, not wanting to get anywhere near those dogs.
Rooster smiled and kept on walking.
[a Hausa story from northern Nigeria]



Inspired by: "The Cock by his Wit Saves His Skin" in Hausa Superstitions and Customs  by A. J. N. Tremearne, 1913.
Notes: You can read the original story online.

No comments:

Post a Comment