Rabbit and Tortoise Run a Race

"I'll race you to the creek!" Tortoise said.
Rabbit laughed. "Agreed!"
Then Tortoise said, "1-2-3 GO!"
Rabbit raced off, leaving Tortoise far behind.
Imagine Rabbit's surprise when he rounded the bend halfway to the creek. There was Tortoise, trodding along. "I'm faster than I look," said Tortoise.
It was Tortoise's mother, but foolish Rabbit couldn't tell the difference. He raced ahead even faster.
But when Rabbit got to the creek, he saw Tortoise there already, dancing a victory dance. "I'm faster than Rabbit!" he sang. "Faster than Rabbit am I!"
It was really Tortoise's brother. 
Rabbit never figured it out.



Inspired by: Terrapin's Pot of Sense by Harold Courlander.
Notes: This is the story "Slow Train to Arkansas," p. 28. Courlander's version just says ther were three terrapins, but I found it easier to tell using family names for the body doubles.


2 comments:

  1. I can't decide if I'm happy that Brer Rabbit lost for once or sad that it was because of trickery that he lost.

    ReplyDelete