Wolf, Rabbit, and the Hollow Tree

Running away from Wolf, Rabbit jumped into a tree hollow. "I've got you now," said Wolf, and he went home to fetch fire. After Wolf left, Rabbit hopped out and ran away. Then Wolf came back and burnt down the tree.
Imagine Wolf's surprise seeing Rabbit the next day. "I burnt you up!" he said.
"The fire melted the honey in the tree, and the honey kept me safe," Rabbit said. "Then I ate all I wanted."
"I want to eat honey too!" said Wolf. He jumped in the tree hollow, and Rabbit set the tree on fire.
Wolf died.



Inspired by: Negro Myths from the Georgia Coast by Charles C. Jones.
Notes: This story is "Buh Rabbit, Buh Wolf, an de Holler Tree." 

2 comments:

  1. Wolf is gullible as hell. Brain is better than brawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look mate he can't help being gullible. It's not his fault. I cried when I read this story because it is so hard being gullible and suffering at the hands of clever tricksters.

      Delete