Fox and Rabbit Seek God's Blessing

Brer Fox had caught Brer Rabbit at last, holding him tight by the throat. "I'm going to kill you, Brer Rabbit," he said, "to pay you back for all the times you did me wrong. I'll kill you and then I'll eat you."
"I understand, Brer Fox, I surely do," said Brer Rabbit. "But before I die, let's pray together. Put your hands together and say, 'God, bless us two, your creatures.' Then God's blessing will be upon us both."
When Brer Fox put his hands together to pray, Brer Rabbit slipped out of his grasp and ran away, laughing.



Inspired by: Jamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith
Notes: This is story 59b in the book, told by Rennie Macfarlane of Mandeville: Saying Grace.

3 comments:

  1. It never fails to amuse me how easy it is to trick Brer Fox, and by the amount he laughs it never fails to amuse Brer Rabbit either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if he's religious like me you can understand why he would want to pray. I feel sorry for him for being conned!

      Delete
    2. Haha the moral of the story is, be an atheist!

      Delete