Rabbit's Eyeball-Candy

Rabbit was sucking some candy.
"What's that?" asked Fox.
"Eyeball-candy," said Rabbit, taking it out of his mouth and offering it to Fox.
Fox sucked the candy. "That's good," he said. "Take out my eyeball! I want my own candy."
Rabbit pulled out Fox's eyeball, but he gave Fox a piece of candy instead.
Fox sucked the candy till it was gone. "I want more! Do my other eyeball," he said.
Rabbit pulled out Fox's other eyeball, and then he yelled, "Come on, hounds!"
Fox ran but he couldn't see.
He ran right into a tree.
The hounds got him!


Inspired by: Florida Folktales, edited by J. Russell Reaver.
Notes: This story is "3. Eyeball Candy." Compare the story of Anansi and Tiger's testicles: Anansi and the Coconut.


2 comments:

  1. Haha it serves Fox right being such a gullible fool and believing Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Exactly! I am pleased you seem to be enjoying these stories as much as me and rooting for the good guy all the time (i.e. the trickster!)

      Delete