Rabbit and Tiger Go Fishing

Rabbit and Tiger went fishing in Tiger's boat. Afterwards, Tiger divided the fish. "One for me. One for my boat... my rod... hook... line..." When he was done, nothing was left. "That's no way to do me!" Rabbit complained.
Rabbit ran home and told his three children to play dead in the road. Tiger saw the first one, but he walked on. Then he saw the second. Then the third. He couldn't resist. Tiger dropped his basket and ran back to gather them all.
Rabbit stole Tiger's basket.
When Tiger came back, he shouted, "That's no way to do me!"


Inspired by: Folklore of the Antilles by Elsie Clews Parsons.
Notes: Parsons classifies this story as: 2. Sharing the Spoils. You can find it online at Hathi Trust. In the original story from Santa Lucia, each of the little rabbits is a different color, and there are six of them; I shortened it and stopped the story there, but the original storyteller goes on to tell how the angry Tiger then stages a sham funeral to try to catch Rabbit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment