Rabbit Buys Corn

Cockroach, Rooster, and Fox all grew corn.
"Bring me your corn," Rabbit said. "I'm buying!"
He invited Cockroach to come first. "Here's my corn!" said Cockroach.
Knock-knock. "That's Rooster!" whispered Rabbit. "Quick! Hide under the bed."
"Here's my corn!" said Rooster.
Knock-knock. "That's Fox! Quick! Hide under the bed, and snack on Cockroach if you want!"
"Here's my corn!" said Fox.
Knock-knock. "That's Mr. Man. Quick! Hide under the bed. You can eat Rooster!"
"Hello, Mr. Man!" said Rabbit. "I've got a heap of corn for you to buy. And I'll throw in Fox for free; he's under the bed."


Inspired by: Young Brer Rabbit and Other Trickster Tales from the Americas by Jaqueline Shachter Weiss.
Notes: This story is on p. 24: "The Corn." Weiss notes that the story comes from Brazil. There was one more link in the chain: Wolf came after Fox, but I didn't have room for Wolf too. Compare Anansi Owes Money, which has a chain of Hog, Dog, Monkey, and Tiger. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment